How to find the reference number of your e-Transfer
The quickest way to locate your reference number would be to check the confirmation email stating that your e-Transfer has been successfully deposited:
You should also be able to locate the reference number within your online banking platform by looking up the status of your e-Transfer, however, please note:
- The reference number will always start with the letters CA
- The reference number is assigned to every e-Transfer that has been successfully deposited
- Your bank may have its own internal reference number but that is not what we require
Important: Some banks will not have the reference number in the email example displayed above. If you bank with Desjardins, EQ Bank, Manulife Bank, Blueshore Financial, you will need to locate the reference number from within your online banking platform and not the confirmation email.
Can't locate your e-Transfer reference number?
If you cannot locate a reference number that starts with CA, or the reference number that you located is redacted (like this CA12****), then your e-Transfer has most likely been put on hold.
When an e-Transfer has been put on hold, it will look like your e-Transfer has been sent and the money will be debited from your bank account (your money is safe).
e-Transfers can be held by your bank for several different reasons:
- The most common reason is sending an e-Transfer to a newly added recipient
- This can happen with any newly added recipient and is unrelated to cryptocurrency or Bitbuy
- After your e-Transfer has been released, you should not run into this issue with us again
What to do if your e-Transfer has been put on hold
1. Verify that your e-Transfer has been put on hold
First, you should double-check that your e-Transfer has been put on hold. You can do so by looking for a status of 'In Progress' or 'Pending'.
2. Call your bank to release your e-Transfer
To have your e-Transfer released, simply call your bank and tell them that you authorize the e-Transfer to be sent to the intended recipient.
- This can only be resolved by your bank, NOT Interac
- If they claim that this is an issue on our bank's side, please tell them that you have spoken to us and can confirm that it must be released by the sending bank
- You do not need to go into your bank branch to have your e-Transfer released, this can always be resolved through your bank's phone support
If you are still having issues after following the steps above, please send us an email at email@example.com and a member of our team will assist you further.